Nitrous oxide, sometimes called “laughing gas,” is one option we offer to help make you more comfortable during certain procedures.
Nitrous oxide is a safe and effective sedative gas that is mixed with oxygen, and inhaled through a small mask that fits over your nose. We will ask you to breathe normally through your nose, and within minutes you should start to feel the calming effects of the nitrous oxide. You will experience a comfortable, light, warm feeling, but nitrous oxide is not intended to put you to sleep. You will be able to hear and respond to any requests or directions Dr. Cirac may have. The effects of nitrous oxide wear off soon after the mask is removed.
- Great for mildly fearful children and adults
- Mild pain control / sedation
- Reversible, wears off quickly, little or no recovery time
- Safe and non-addictive when used correctly
- Patient can communicate freely with the dentist
- Patient does not need an escort
- Mild pain control / sedation (may not be enough for some patients)
- Not recommended for people with difficulty in breathing through the nose
- May cause nausea if used at high relative doses
If you are avoiding visiting the dentist due to fear or anxiety, talk to Dr. Cirac about how nitrous oxide can help you get the dental care you need.